Foot Care for Athletes
Because jumping and running takes a toll on your feet, proper foot care is especially important for athletes. Athletes often suffer from injuries caused by repetitive motion, overuse of the joints, and recurring stress on the bones. They are also more prone to fungal infections. Fortunately, proper foot care, many of these conditions can be prevented.
Athletes may suffer from a variety of foot ailments including:
- Achilles tendinitis (inflammation of the Achilles tendon).
- Bursitis (inflammation of a fluid filled sac that acts as a cushion between a tendon and a bone).
- Fungal infections.
- Metatarsalgia (pain and inflammation in the ball of the foot).
- Plantar fascilitis (inflammation of tissue on the bottom of the foot that connects the heel to the toes).
- Sesamoiditis (irritation or fracture of the tiny bones, hear the big toe joint).
- Stress fractures (small cracks in a bone).
Foot care for athletes – tips and recommendations prevention guidelines and foot care tips vary based on the type of injury or condition.
Blisters, corn, callus prevention
It is important for athletes to take care of their feet in order to prevent injuries. Sores of your feet often develop as a result of wearing shoes that don’t fit properly or rub against the skin. Some precautions that can be taken to avoid blisters, corns, and calluses include:
- Keeping your feet clean and dry.
- Using lotion to soften your skin and prevent cracking.
Wearing shoes that are comfortable and fit properly so they don’t rub or irritate the skin.
Tendon, ligament, and bone injury prevention:
Steps can also be taken to prevent tendon, ligament, and bone injuries such as sesamoiditis, bursitis, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendinitis and metatarsalgia.
- Changing socks throughout the day, if your feet sweat, and order to help keep them dry.
- Dry your feet well, especially between the toes, after showering.
- Wearing shower shoes in public showers.
- Wearing socks made of a breathable fabric such as cotton.
If you suffer a foot injury and experience pain or inflammation, is important to consult a medical professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.